Chef Becker’s Pasta Puttanesca
Do you know the legend behind Pasta Puttanesca?
Resident Chef Scott Becker at Binny's Highland Park recently shared the tale where Neapolitan prostitutes needed a sauce they could make in between customers. Using available ingredients; anchovies, garlic, onion & tomatoes, they made a quick & easy sauce for pasta. Chef Becker’s creation includes capers & olives for a satisfying, savory & super flavorful dish!
· ½ cup Villa Graziella Organic, Extra Virgin Olio Nuovo olive oil, plus extra to flavor
· 1-28 ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, crushed
· 12 oz Kalamata black olives, pitted & halved
· 15 anchovy filets, chopped
· 12 garlic cloves, peeled & thinly sliced
· 1 ½ cup of capers
· 1 red onion, diced
· Red pepper chili flakes
· Sea salt & cracked pepper
· Chopped fresh parsley, optional
1. In a large pot, over medium heat, lightly sauté onion, garlic & anchovies in olive oil until the garlic & onion begin to brown
2. Add capers & olives to the pot, cook 2 minutes
3. Add crushed tomatoes including the juice
4. Season with black pepper & chili flakes to taste
5. Reduce heat to low, simmer until sauce thickens & flavors blend, about 1 hour
6. Cook pasta, (linguine or other long shaped pasta) according directions
7. Drain pasta & toss with sauce & 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
8. Adjust seasonings & oil to taste
9. Garnish with chopped parsley
10. Serve immediately, enjoy with Villa Graziella Organic Chianti DOCG red wine
Expert tip; Careful how much salt is added to the water as all the ingredients are very salty, as the sauce cooks, the salty flavors will become more concentrated & pronounced. This sauce freezes well, make a large batch & freeze in smaller portions.
Interested in learning more about wine, cooking classes & demonstration? Visit https://www.binnys.com/events