Savory Ham & Gruyère Cheese Bread
We’re celebrating National Homemade Bread Day Nov. 17th, the feast day of Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, patron saint of bakers & known for her lifelong devotion to feeding the poor. We made this savory quick bread using Villa Gabriella Certified Organic, Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Enjoy it with a salad & a glass of wine for a healthy & delicious snack or light dinner. Yields approx. 15 slices.
- 1/3 cup Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil extra for brushing the pan
- 1 ¾ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups baked ham or thick prosciutto, cut into ¼ cubes (approx. 6 ounces)
- 1 ¼ cups coarsely grated or cutGruyère cheese (approx. 6 ounces)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- *1/3 cup small-diced, pitted Niçoise olives (approx. 1 ¼ ounces), can also be added with cheese & ham
- Preheat oven to 350◦ degrees, arrange rack in the oven to the center
- Generously brush a loaf pan with olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix flour with baking powder, salt & pepper
- In another bowl, lightly whisk eggs, followed by whisking in milk, then olive oil
- Combine wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients, lightly mix together
- Add ham & cheese do not over mix, batter will be thick with a few traces of flour
- Pour batter into a loaf pan, distribute evenly to all 4 corners & smooth the top
- Bake until golden brown approx 40-50 minutes, or if an inserted toothpick or knife into the center comes out clean
- Remove from oven & cool approx. 5 minutes, run a knife or spatula around the edges to release. Cool 30 minutes.
- Slice & serve at warm or at room temperature & enjoy!
Tried, Tasted & True! At Villa Gabriella Organic our team tries & tastes every recipe we feature. While we love to share our family recipes & those of talented home cooks & chefs, sometimes we adapt them so they are even easier to make. As with our products, our goal is for you to have a healthy & delicious experience using Villa Gabriella recipes. So try them out in your kitchen, feel free to tweak them & please tell us what you think.
We welcome your comments & feedback!
Grazie da Team VILLA GABRIELLA