National Potato Month: Baked Potatoes, Tomatoes & Basil
September marks National Potato Month and gives us reason to celebrate the 5th most important crop worldwide after wheat, corn, rice, and sugar cane. This amazing spud is often recognized as the blessing that saved famine-plagued areas in Europe. First arriving in the region in 1532, the potato spread throughout Europe and was known as an inexpensive, nutrient rich staple crop by the late 18th century.
To celebrate National Potato Month, we made Baked Potatoes, Tomatoes & Basil. It’s a simple, one dish meal that we cannot stop raving about. Not only is it made with staple ingredients including Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil; it can be made in advance and baked just before dinner.
- ½ yellow onion
- 3 medium yellow potatoes
- 5 plum tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Oil oven safe baking dish with 1 tbsp Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Slice yellow onion into thin rings, line bottom of baking dish with onion slices.
- Slice yellow potatoes and plum tomatoes into thin slices. Layer on top of onions, alternating between potatoes and tomatoes until all have been used.
- Pour water into corners of the dish
- Drizzle remaining 3 tbsp of Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil over dish.
- Spread chopped basil and parmesan cheese over top of dish
- Bake for 1 hour, until top is golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
National Potato Council, www.nationalpotatocouncil.org
Smithsonian Magazine, www.smithsonianmag.com