Celebrate the Feast of Saint Nicholas Tolentino with Macedonia di Frutta
Summer is officially over, yet we are still enjoying the cicadas & the last trace of warm weather we don’t want to end. In honor of Saint Nicholas Tolentino-Patron feast day, the patron saint of Saint of Vegans & Vegetarians, we made a “Macedonia di Frutta” or mixed fresh fruit salad. Why Macedonia? The name refers to the southeastern area of Europe consisting of the former Yugoslavia, Bulgaria & Greece. The many ethnicities of its people refer to the array of berries, stone & tropical fruits with lemon & orange juice.
Our Macedonia di Frutta is inspired by the beloved author & cook Marcella Hazan. Made with seasonal fruits, Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Organic 8-year aged Balsamic Vinegar di Modena to create a melody of delicious tastes & textures. Make a few hours ahead & serve as a healthy after school snack or refreshing dessert.
- 2 tablespoons of Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil + some for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Villa Gabriella Organic, 8 year Aged Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 cup of fresh orange juice, if possible not from concentrate
- 2 apples
- 2 each of 3 stone fruits such as apricots, nectarines, peaches or plums
- 1 ½ lbs. assorted seasonal fruit; bananas, berries, grapes, mango, melon or exotic fruits-we added blueberries, kiwi, pineapple & raspberries
- 2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- Grated peel of 1 lemon, no white pith
- 3 tablespoons of sugar in the raw, to taste
- 1/4 tablespoon of sea salt
- Seed & cut apples & stone fruits into ½ cubed pieces, place in a large bowl, we left the peel on some for texture.
- Add lemon juice to bowl so fruit will not turn brown
- Peel kiwi & pineapple, cut into pieces & add to fruit mixture
- Pour in orange juice
- Add lemon peel, sugar & sea salt
- Mix fruit & ingredients together
- Cover & refrigerate 3-4 hours
- Add berries (last so they do not become soft)
- Drizzle Villa Gabriella Organic, 8 year Aged Balsamic Vinegar
- Slowly drizzle Villa Gabriella Organic, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Gently toss before serving