Spring Time, Time for Asparagus!
Asparagi al Forno-Oven roasted asparagus
Originating from Greek meaning “sprout” or “shoot” wild asparagus was popular with the Ancient Greeks while the Romans were the first to cultivate it. Considered a delicacy & coveted for its supposed medicinal benefits in Europe & the U.K., asparagus found its way to the Americas via the early settlers.
We eagerly anticipate spring when asparagus returns! Look for dark green asparagus with a purple tinge, firm stalks & tightly closed tips. Oven-roasting asparagus highlights its unique herbaceous flavor, serve as a side dish or savor alone. Serves 4-6.
- 1.70 lbs. fresh asparagus
- ¼ cup Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ½ tsp. coarse sea salt
- 3 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh ground black pepper added to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit
- Snap off the fibrous, woody bottom part of each stalk, it will break off naturally where it is tough.
- Place in a single layer in a large roasting pan or wide cookie sheet, coat evenly with oil & sea salt.
- Roast turning asparagus occasionally for approx. 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese return to oven for 5 minutes or until golden brown & tender in the middle. Do not overcook.
- Add fresh pepper to taste.
- Serve & enjoy!