Clara's Walnut Biscotti
Biscotti, known also as Cantuccini, are Italian biscuits that originated in the city of Prato. They are twice-baked, oblong-shaped, dry, crunchy, and traditionally dipped in coffee. Because they’re baked twice and very dry they could be stored for long periods of time. Such nonperishable food was particularly useful during journeys and wars, and twice baked breads were a staple food of the Roman Legions.
The traditional recipe has morphed over time and varies across many kitchens. Whether they include almonds, walnuts, cinnamon, or other spices, they are always delicious and make a great cookie for the holidays.
- 7 Eggs
- 1 ½ Cups of Sugar
- 1 ½ Cups Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 2 Teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
- 5 Cups of Flour
- 1 Cup Chopped Nuts (optional)
- Mix all wet ingredients together including sugar
- Sift all dry ingredients together, add to wet mixture 1 cup at a time
- Mix in nuts by hand
- In large spoonfuls, drop on an ungreased cookie sheet
- Continue to add spoonfuls in a row, connecting to each other
- Complete 2 rows on one cookie sheet, each about 2-3 inches wide
- Bake for 20 minutes in a 350 degree, preheated oven
- After 20 minutes, remove from over and let sit for 5 minutes
- Cut into slices, and place back onto cookie sheet
- Bake the cookies for another 15 minutes
- Enjoy with coffee, hot chocolate for Vin Santo!
Tried, Tasted & True! At Villa Gabriella Organic our team tries & tastes every recipe we feature. While we love to share our family recipes & those of talented home cooks & chefs, sometimes we adapt them so they are even easier to make. As with our products, our goal is for you to have a healthy & delicious experience using Villa Gabriella recipes. So try them out in your kitchen, feel free to tweak them & please tell us what you think.
We welcome your comments & feedback!
Grazie da Team VILLA GABRIELLA