Friday, September 30th is International Extra Virgin Olive Oil Day! Celebrate this ancient, noble, liquid elixir with delicious & easy Bruschetta. Culinary historians maintain the word bruschetta originated from the Italian verb “brusciare” to burn. Originally considered a working man’s food using day old bread, flavored with 4 fresh, simple ingredients; extra virgin olive oil, tomato, basil & parsley. Garlic, cheese & spices were added over the years depending on the season & ingredient availability. No set recipe, we just stayed true to the original using Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin IGP Olive Oil, this season’s best fresh tomatoes, quality country style bread, our backyard planter of basil & parsley, sea salt & cracked pepper. Prepare ahead & serve at room temperature as a healthy half time snack, delicious appetizer, or side bread for soup & salad.
Serves 6-8 as an appetizer or side condiment
· Fresh, in season, cluster of on the vine, room temperature cherry tomatoes, chopped
· 1 baguette loaf country Italian or French bread, sliced
· 4-5 tablespoons Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin IGP Olive Oil, plus extra to flavor
· 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
· 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
· Sea salt & cracked pepper (to taste)
1. Stir together tomatoes, basil, parsley & olive oil in a bowl, set aside.
2. Add salt and pepper to taste, salting at the end, as it tends to break up the tomatoes.
3. Brush both sides of bread with olive oil, place on the grill top or preheated in an oven at 300°F.
4. Turn slices over when brown, heat other side.
5. Remove from heat, spoon tomato mixture on to bread.
6. Serve & enjoy with Villa Graziella artisan crafted wine made with organic grapes.
Tried, Tasted & True!
At Villa Gabriella Organic our team tries & tastes every recipe we feature. While we love to share our family recipes & those of talented home cooks & chefs, sometimes we adapt them so they are even easier to make. As with our products, our goal is for you to have a healthy & delicious experience using Villa Gabriella recipes. So try them out in your kitchen, feel free to tweak them & please tell us what you think. We welcome your comments & feedback!
Grazie da Team VILLA GABRIELLA