Did you know that Saturday is National Mulled Wine Day? Mulled wine is so easy to make and perfect for these chilly nights! All you need is a bottle of red wine (we used Villa Graziella Chianti), some spices, and your favorite liquor! And, what better way to cozy up on the couch this weekend to watch the Oscars than with some mulled wine?! With less than 5 minutes of prep, this can be made on the stovetop or in a slow cooker. Just make sure not to boil it so you don't boil off the alcohol! Just simmer for 15 minutes, or up to three hours, strain the spices, and serve warm.
- 1 (750 ml) bottle of Villa Graziella Organic Chianti wine
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar, honey, or maple syrup to taste (or your desired sweetener)
- optional add-in: 1/4 cup brandy (or your favorite liqueur)
- optional garnishes: citrus slices (orange, lemon and/or lime), extra cinnamon sticks, extra star anise
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, and heat just barely to a simmer over medium-high heat. (Be careful not to boil the mulled wine — you don’t want to boil off the alcohol.) Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let the wine simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Strain, and serve warm with your desired garnishes.