Greek Yogurt & Olive Oil Apple Muffins
At Villa Gabriella, we are passionate about finding ways to substitute healthier options while cooking and baking. Whether it is to cut calories, use more organic products or just to use items already in our pantry – substitutions can be made to almost any recipe.
We were recently interested in finding a healthier breakfast muffin, using our organic olive oil, and delighted to find a recipe on food.com that also incorporated Greek yogurt. High in protein, probiotics, B12, potassium, iodine, and calcium, Greek yogurt certainly added a punch of health benefits to these muffins.
Speaking of ‘good food’ substitutions, we are very excited to be participating in the 12th Annual Good Food Festival & Conference this weekend! The festival features three dynamic days that connect all the people active in the Good Food community – farmers, food producers, investors, trade buyers, policy makers, activists, families and Good Food lovers. Buy your tickets today to shop, eat, learn, network and expand Good Food!
- 2 large apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (I used granny smith)
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest and juice of
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats (plus a little extra for sprinkling on top)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional) or 1⁄4 cup dried currant (optional)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- Preheat oven to 180c/350°F Line large size muffin tin with muffin liners.
- When you chop the apples, combine them immediately with the grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon to keep them from turning brown.
- Add all the remaining ingredients. Mix to just combine. Spoon into muffin liner (the chunky batter should reach the top of the liner). Sprinkle tops with some oatmeal.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
HOW DID THIS RECIPE GO? DID YOU ADD ANOTHER INGREDIENT TO MAKE IT EVEN BETTER? PLEASE SHARE YOUR COMMENTS & FEEDBACK WITH US! WE WANT YOU TO HAVE A HEALTHY & DELICIOUS EXPERIENCE WITH OUR PRODUCTS!
GRAZIE DA TEAM VILLA GABRIELLA