Karen’s Summer Pasta
July is National Macaroni month! This recipe is the creation of one of our favorite people; dear friend & talented home chef Karen Forte. Together with her husband Steve, the Forte’s are generous, genuine & gracious hosts creating healthy & delicious food for family & friends no matter where the Forte family reside; Florence, Mumbai, New York, Olbia or Paris.
Always versatile pasta can be enjoyed even in warm weather using in season vegetables & fresh herbs dressed with Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Karen prepared this dish on a torrid July day while we were visiting them in Sardinia. Healthy ingredients & delicious flavors made this the perfect lunch after a morning on the beach. Great memories together with wonderful friends make this a special dish. Buon Appetito!
Serves 4 people
1. 14 ounces farfalle (bow tie), penne or twist pasta
2. 5 ounces tuna packed in water & drained
3. 7 ounces zucchini, firm, sliced in thin rounds
4. 5 tablespoons Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus extra to flavor
5. 1 large ripe tomato, cut in chunks
6. 1 medium yellow onion or 1 scallion sliced thin
7. 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
8. Sea salt & fresh ground pepper
1. Sauté sliced onion with Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, add sliced zucchini, salt & pepper.
2. Cook until onion is translucent & zucchini rounds begin to brown.
3. Add the tomatoes & drained tuned to the mixture, simmer over a very low heat until most of the liquid is absorbed. Cover & set aside.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat, add handful of coarse sea salt (kosher salt fine too).
5. Add the pasta & cook according to directions or until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally.
6. Drain pasta, add the sauce, drizzle Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, add parsley & blend. Taste & adjust olive oil & seasonings.
7. Can be made up to 5 hours ahead, cover & chill.
8. Bring to room temperature, serve & enjoy!